Tuesday, July 12, 2005

let the river run

Yesterday was the day of our big move into the Presidio. After dealing with a bunch of other things yesterday, I'm finally getting to set up my office.

And I'm doing so frantically because of my brother.

You see, my brother has a weird affection for two movies I just don't understand: Working Girl and Rudy. In some very personal way, those two films have resonated within him in ways I just can't relate to. And for some reason because of this, he quotes Working Girl to me with the frequency other nerds (and I don't exclude myself) quote things like Ghostbusters, The Godfather, and Family Guy. The thing is, every time he quotes it, I think he expects me to know the reference. But ... it's Working Girl. It's totally forgettable. It'd be like someone expecting you to instantly recognize quotes from movies like Gung Ho or Crocodile Dundee II.

Anyway, yesterday I'm running around our new building trying to take care of all kinds of things related to our move in and -- while I'm out -- I get two new voice mails.

The first message I get is Ry singing "Let the river run/ let all the nuh-nuh/nuuuuh, nuh nuh-nuuuh nuuuuuh nuuuuuuh nuuuuuuh/ ..." etc. for way longer than he really needed to sing it. I think, "Huh. Weird ... why is Ry calling me and singing an obscure Carly Simon song that he doesn't know the words to?"

Turns out this is "Let the River Run," the theme song to Working Girl, and it won Carly Simon a Golden Globe.

I delete the message. The second message however begins with some weird hiss and I think "Is that room noise? Speaker hiss? What is that?" And then it starts. An mp3 played over the phone of Carly Simon singing "Let the River Run." I think he played the whole song. For some reason, I think I listened to the entire song.

And that's where I am today. I'm trying to set up my office so that I have some speakers and can listen to music because, right now, "Let the river run/ let all the nuh/nuuuh, nuh nuh-nuuuuh nnuuuuuh nuuuuuuh nuuuuuuh/ ..." keeps playing on a loop in my brain.

So thanks, Ry. Much appreciated.

5 comments:

EmoRiot said...

I blame cable TV. Cable TV gets a low price for Working Girl and Rudy so they run them all the time. Likewise, Eurotrip is an excellent movie only because of its broadcast frequency.

"You can bend the rules plenty once you get to the top, but not while you're trying to get there. And if you're someone like me, you can't get there without bending the rules."

This quotes isn't relevant to this post, but it is from Working Girl which is good enough.

Bug said...

I definitely agree with you about cable TV. It's led to a soft spot in my heart for a few weird films, too.

Matilda
The Ref
and another Melanie Griffith gem: Cherry 2000

rooni said...

What?! Why didn't I know this about you?

Bug said...

Yeah ... I don't know what it is. There was the period of time when I was in my teens where, 2 or 3 times in a row, Cherry 2000 was on TV while I was home sick. It was a movie about bounty hunters and some sort of post-apocalyptic world so I watched it. It's not a good film, but I've seen it about 3 or 4 times. I think it came on TV in England, too, and I watched it because it was so odd to see it again.

I guess it's just not something that ever really came up before. : /

rooni said...

Maybe your brother was destined to like Working Girl so that you'd be motivated to blog about the phenomenon and then confess to your own bizarre cable-watching practices.