Wednesday, February 01, 2006

butterfly in the sky?

Last night sucked. Sickness took complete control of me and at about 2 AM I woke up shivering like crazy. For over an hour I lay there like that until my erratic breathing woke up Amanda who then proceeded to take care of me until I fell back to sleep.

I don't know what the hell was wrong with me. I didn't have a fever; and yet I couldn't stop shivering. Beyond that were the very odd thoughts kicking around in my head. First a little background ...

[wigglyDreamSequence]
Last Sunday, our typically very quiet street was strangely noisy early in the morning. People were laughing, talking, and somewhere nearby someone was practicing the saxophone. This was new. I've never heard a peep from our street before and it all took me by surprise.
[/wigglyDreamSequence]

Now, back to last night. For whatever the hell reason, I was CONVINCED as I lay there shivering last night that the previous Sunday morning had been like an episode of Reading Rainbow. I know I wasn't asleep; I was shivering like mad and fully awake. And yet, there I was completely fixated on a TV show I haven't seen in about 20 years.

I kept picturing book illustrations with a narrator's voice (much like Alfre Woodard's, believe it or not) and small ensemble jazz underscore playing along with it.

"Myyyyy Streeeet." said Alfre, drawing the vowels out in a soothing childlike way. "By Marcus Dellwater. Illustrated by Johanna Lundbourne. As read by Alfre Woodard."

"My street is aliiiiiive. Morning, Noon, and Night my street is alive with the sounds of the City."

Et cetera. The entire childrens' book wrote itself over and over again in my head while I tried desperately to stop shivering. I have no idea what the hell was wrong with me, but I lived some weird hour-long Reading Rainbow waking nightmare last night and find myself thoroughly baffled by it this today.

Being sick sucks. Your brain does weird things. Your body feels terrible. I can't wait to get better. Being sick totally sucks.

But, you don't have to take my word for it.

2 comments:

EmoRiot said...

You stole my line! I was gonna use "you don't have to take my word for it"!!

Bug said...

Yeah, I'm tricky like that.