Thursday, September 29, 2005

shi-poop, plain and simple

Everyone gets songs stuck in their heads. Maybe musicians are more prone to it; I don't know. What I do know is that I have a nasty habit of getting a single song stuck in my head that starts to function as a type of audio screen saver.

Whenever nothing's going on, that song will just start playing. Typically, these things hang around for years.

Years.

From about 1990 to 1998, my audio screen saver was "Life Loves a Tragedy" by Poison. From 1998 until this year, it's been "What Is And What Should Never Be" by Zeppelin. Thankfully, the Zep tune seems to be in decline. The problem is, whenever I get a song stuck in my head, I worry that it's become the new default audio screen saver.

Which brings me to today. All day today I've had "Shi-Poo-Pi" from the wretched The Music Man stuck in my head. I don't like musicals. I find them to be the lowest form of entertainment, roughly on par with Blind Date and Springer.

I mean ... Shi-poo-pi ... seriously? Let's take a quick look at what it contributes to our society:

Squeeze her once when she isn't lookin',
If you get a squeeze back, that's fancy cookin',
Once more for a pepper-upper,
She will never get sore on her way to supper.

Shi-Poo-Pi!
Shi-Poo-Pi!
Shi-Poo-Pi! The girl who's hard to get.

Shi-Poo-Pi!
Shi-Poo-Pi!
Shi-Poo-Pi! But you can win her yet.


Swill. If I have to listen to this crap on and off until 2011, I'm going to go nuts.

2 comments:

EmoRiot said...

I just read Aaron Ralston's book. He's the hiker who had to cut his own arm off when it got pinned under a boulder a few years back. The entire 6 days that he was stuck there, he had the following line from the Austin Power's soundtrack in his head:

"BBC 1!! BBC 2!! BBC 3!! BBC 4!! BBC 5!! BBC 6!! BBC 7!! BBC HEAVEN!"

Over and over and over while his arm was slowly becoming necrotic. So I think Shipoopi is a winner given the perspective.

Bug said...

Wow ... I saw a story about that guy on Dateline. They painstakingly recounted his ordeal and went into great detail about all of the pain and suffering he endured.

The one thing they neglected to talk about was the metal torture of that retahded Mike Myers song he endured.

Poor sap ...