Monday, March 06, 2006

TIE fighters at 6 o'clock

When I learned how to drive, my dad decided to draw on my love of Star Wars in order to teach me the threat of other drivers. According to my dad, "when you're in your car, it's just like the Death Star scene in Star Wars. You're the rebels and there are TIE Fighters flying at you at all times. Your job is just to not crash into them."

It was a good analogy for me at the time and I took it to heart. The older I get, the more applicable his analogy seems to get, though, and the broader in scope it seems to become. No matter how much planning you do, no matter how much you think you have everything figured out, there will always be some kind of TIE Fighter headed your way that you didn't count on. The best any of us can ever do is just do our best to not crash into it.

It's like John Lennon said, "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans." Although, I don't know what he'd think of being likened to TIE Fighter analogies.

Anyway, my point is: things are changing. Quite rapidly, too. Things are work at changing. Things with other people I know are changing in terms of their careers. Right now, the skies over the Death Star are full of a full TIE squadron of different opportunities jockeying for attention.

I'm quickly realizing the retahdedness of this post. Mainly it's due to my superstitious feeling that if I name specifics in terms of these unnamed opportunities, they'll evaporate. And so I'm left with an ambiguous and muddled blog post. But, so be it.

I just feel this afternoon how odd life is. 3 months ago everything felt as though it were stagnating and ruttifying. Today I feel like I'm watching the ends of everything fray and fly apart into unexpected directions.

I don't feel nervous or scared about it all; just ... inquisitive. Anxious to see what comes of everything. When I know more with more certainty, or I dodge some of these TIE Fighters, I'll fill in the specific details. As for now, this muddle of ambiguous mess is all you get.

No comments: