Wednesday, September 06, 2006

it forgot "The Wiggles"

Well, small improvements over yesterday. Tivo seems to have fixed itself. I was able to watch a new episode of The Contender that it taped for me last night. I don't know what kind of magic happened to get it to work, but for now I've decided not to breath on it or look at it funny for fear that it might go back to being dumb.

And, now that it works, I'm starting to see what people mean when they say that Tivo's suggestions that it tapes for you are completely retahded. So far, after telling it that I want to watch The Contender, Dungeons & Dragons, and Medium, it's taped for me Sesame Street, Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, and Sex in the City. No, no and no.

It's kinda' like Pandora, the online music suggestion messathon. If I type in an artist that I like, Pandora tries to tell me other artists that I might like. Problem is, every time I get suggestions from Pandora that I recognize, I find myself thinking "Ew. Shit ... No, I can't stand that stuff. How'd you get that from what I like?"

Still, Tivo's stupid suggestions are a small price to pay for not having to watch commercials anymore and for being able to take a phone call in the middle of something I'm watching without missing anything. Good times. Tivo is going to quickly spoil me, I can already tell.

3 comments:

EmoRiot said...

The first thing I did with my TiVo is turn off the automatic recording of suggested programming. I didn't like the idea of it taking up disk space and everyone makes fun of it.

I've never missed the feature.

Bug said...

Oh, I didn't know you could turn it off ...

It's pretty clear I read a total of zonk pages in the manual. Did it even come with a manual? Probably ...

Anyway, I'll look into that. Thanks.

EmoRiot said...

I didn't read the manual either. I'm just "the gifted boy."

It's somewhere in the settings. I think it's called "recommendations" but that's a 2 year old memory. Just poke around. It'll go away.