Tuesday, October 11, 2005

not nearly as entertaining as "A Bug's Life"

We have ants in our apartment. As far as I can tell, they are entering our apartment through a hold in the wall behind our behemoth of an entertainment center, marching their way around the living room rug, and then disappearing into some sort of worm hole near the sofa. Try as I may, I can't seem to follow them to any sort of destination. They march halfway around the rug and then ... turn around and go back the other way.

So, now I need to go buy ant poison. Fun.

I didn't sleep well last night. I had two stupid ideas, both of which worked beautifully in concert to give me a restless night's sleep.

Idiotic Idea 1.) Leave the door open to our room to create a cross-breeze.

I've been really hot at night ever since ... well, ever. I'm just hot at night always - at least, when I try to fall asleep I'm hot. So, I leave the window open and turn on a fan and then by about 3 in the morning I'm cold. But initially, I'm really hot. Some mornings I wake up to find that my t-shirt is soaked with sweat (TMI, I know). Anyway, I thought that leaving the door open would allow for a nicer cross-breeze and I would be able to fall asleep easier.

Didn't work.

Idiotic Idea 2.) Let the cat sleep at the foot of our bed.

I thought, "Well, if I want to let the door stay open, then maybe the cat will come in and snooze on the foot of our bed like she did all day Sunday." I don't know why I wanted this. Maybe just due to the inherent Normal Rockwellness of it all. Regardless, our cat sleeps during the day, not the night - and I should have thought about this.

At 5:30 in the morning, she climbed up onto my chest and wanted to play. When I was tired and grumpy at being woken up, she climbed off of me and started to mess with Amanda. Luckily, I was able to get the cat out of the room before Manda woke up.

The moral or the story is: Jesse doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to sleep.

2 comments:

EmoRiot said...

are you sleeping in flanel pajamas? under a thick comforter? on a heating pad?

You need to rig up an automated system where the fan is on a timer that shuts off at the right hour of the night and simultaneously the door is shut by remote mechanical arm. Then after a short duration a thicker comforter which is suspended above you drops into place to keep you warm for the later part of the cold night.

Hopefullly Amanda can sleep through the symphony of servo motors in your Tim Burtonesque... or Pee Wee Hermanesque bedroom contraption. ;-)

Bug said...

The guy whom those things are named after is Rube Goldberg and you can find out more about his stuff here: http://www.rube-goldberg.com/html/contest.htm

Now, if I can figure out how to build that thing AND make it play "The Breakfast Machine" track from Pee Wee, then I'd be all set.