Thursday, August 14, 2008

flavors of maturity

I've been listening to the new Alanis Morissette album this morning, "Flavors of Entanglements." I have to say, I'm still a fan. Besides having a knack for working with great producers (this time Guy Sigsworth of Frou Frou fame, with help from college friend of Ry and I Sean McGhee), her writing continues to mature in a way that mirrors my own maturation, and as such I constantly find myself at just the right age to really connect with her lyrics and her songs' sentiments.

My favorite track on the album is one called "Incomplete" and it's a great way to end an album. Basically, it's about growing up and realizing that no matter how old you get, there's always more to observe and learn from. It's definitely something I find myself more able to relate to recently. "Incomplete" is the kind of self-reflecting piece of art that makes me feel at peace, makes me feel like someone else is going through the same kinds of internal struggles I am, and makes me feel connected to 30-something humanity. I'm sure all of this sounds ridiculous, but it's how I feel. And after all, art is supposed to make you feel.

"One day I'll find relief
I'll be arrived
And I'll be a friend to my friends who know how to be friends
One day I'll be at peace
I'll be enlightened and I'll be married with children and maybe adopt

One day I will speak freely
I'll be less afraid
And measured outside of my poems and lyrics and art
One day I will be faith-filled
I'll be trusting and spacious authentic and grounded and home

I have been running so sweaty my whole life
Urgent for a finish line
And I have been missing the rapture this whole time of being forever incomplete"

No comments: