Saturday, February 23, 2008

oh, idiocy...

You create a very special brand of entertainment.

Today I'm driving into work when I spot another thing that I wish I could simply take a picture of with my eyes and upload to Flickr. At a stoplight, I realize that I'm sitting next to a graffitied bus stop ad.

The ad for New York Life Insurance, in its unaltered form, read:

"PIECE OF
MIND

FOR YOUR
FAMILY

NEW YORK
LIFE"

Not exactly the catchiest ad I've ever seen, but whatever. What made it so special was the bigotted, xenophobic graffiti someone had scribbled between the real copy with a black felt marker that read:

"PIECE OF
MIND
in eglish
FOR YOUR
FAMILY
speak english
NEW YORK
LIFE"

And no, that's not a typo. The bigot who wanted everyone to speak English had written "eglish." I wonder if anyone has statistics on graffiti literacy? I wonder where the US would place in the world rankings?

No comments: