Tuesday, November 13, 2007

busted

Yesterday I found myself aimlessly flipping through a copy of The Hollywood Reporter. As I thumbed through the pages, something odd caught my eye. Amidst the stories of "movers" and "shakers" that I don't recognize, interspersed among the ads, there was a full page apology from Warner Bros. Pictures. It read:

Warner Bros. Pictures
acknowledges and regrets
that a number of the music cues
for the score of
"300"
were derived from music
composed by
Academy Award-winning® composer
Elliot Goldenthal
for the motion picture
"Titus."
Warner Bros. Pictures
has great respect for Elliot,
our longtime collaborator,
and is pleased to have
amicably resolved this matter.


?! That was a surprise. It's rare these days that you hear about actual plagiarism cases and it surprised me that there wasn't more of a hub-bub about this. Someone has actually edited two of the music files in question side by side and you can listen to them here. Believe me, there's no getting around it. It's a complete rip off.

Bad times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I had heard about this, but I hadn't heard the score to "Titus." Apparently Bates also ripped from "Black Hawk Down" and "Troy." That's pretty depressing...I actually bought the score to 300.

Bug said...

Yeah, bad news. On the plus side, though, you should check out "Titus." It's a really incredible film with an amazing score and fantastic art direction. Good stuff.