Tuesday, November 08, 2005

maybe those Subway schmoes really are artists

Coming from Philadelphia as I do, I feel I know something about what makes a good sandwich and what doesn't. It's probably crossed the line long ago into some kind of sandwich-snobbery; but it's who am I and I can't fight it.

Over the last two weeks or so, I've been packing my lunches for work and it's common for people to ask me what I'm eating. So far, it's been mostly peanut butter. I either have peanut butter and banana (note: not fried a la The King) or peanut butter and grape jelly.

Unfortunately, this lead today to a discussion of some of the nastiest sandwiches I've ever heard of that other people seem to enjoy. Sure, peanut butter and marshmallow fluff isn't my thing, but it isn't ridiculous. Nor is peanut butter and Nutella. But ...

- peanut butter and lettuce?
- peanut butter and dill pickles?
- peanut butter and salami?
- peanut butter and Miracle Whip?
- peanut butter and tuna?
- peanut butter and Cheese Whiz?
- pepperoni and jelly? (Ben, you're gross.)

Those are all an affront to the very Sandwich name.

3 comments:

EmoRiot said...

peanut butter and lettuce, while not awesome, doesn't shock me. I mean, it's not too different from peanut butter on celery - which is good.

but basically, peanut butter itself sucks so with anything it would, by nature, suck.

why the packed lunches? some sort of elementary school flash-back? Or just sick of eating out every day for 2 years?

rooni said...

When I was little, I made myself a peanut butter and Froot Loops sandwich... the bread? A hamburger bun. My brothers made fun of me for many years for that snack.

I'm awesome.

Bug said...

That is awesome. Although, I first typoed it as "asssome" which might be a freudian slip.

Why the packed lunches? 1.) money. It's cheaper. And 2.) I got tired of the hoity-toity food that's served in our Dining Commons. It just isn't very ... me down there. Lots of stuff I'm not a fan of.