Wednesday, July 22, 2009

my friend is dying

It's been a difficult last two weeks. We found out two weeks ago that our cat, Pipper, is dying of both lung and brain cancer. She's started to have raspy breathing, a general lack of energy, and a diminished appetite. I don't think we have much time with her.

And I'm having a really hard time with that.

Pip is essentially my first pet. When we were little, my dad had a habit of getting dogs in the winter, holding onto them for about a month while my brother and I got attached, and then returned them to the SPCA because he didn't like walking them in the cold. So, I never really got to experience what it was like to come home every day to a buddy who was always kind, always happy to see you, and always 100% love in a pure form.

I've learned so much from her and I'm having a very hard time saying good-bye. I don't even really know what to say ... I'm just losing a dear friend and it has me pretty crushed.

1 comment:

rooni said...

I'm so glad you wrote this and posted it. I've been wanting/trying to say something in my blog, but I can't ever seem to get it out. This has been an emotionally exhausting and extremely sad life experience.

As I read your post, Pip purred so loudly at the foot of the bed, but her breathing is pretty shallow and noisy. Now, here she comes to cuddle up with us. She must sense how sad we are. :(

She's so sweet and her presence is so calming. I hate the feeling of missing her already, since she's still with us, but I do.